Sunday, October 26, 2014

Well That Was All ANIME-zing Adventure

Hello all it is I, Sa/Dako, and we have gathered here today (more like the last week) to watch and discuss these works from the land of the rising sun (not that the sun rises only Japan, believe me the sun, or at least that's what science tells me). So let's begin.


Princess Monon-okay That Was a Darn Good Film

Are you disappointed at the pun? Probably. Are you surprised? You shouldn't be. But despite how much you may want to strangle me for my dumb word-play you have to acknowledge that unlike me, Princess Mononoke (Mononokehime) was not disappointing, or at least pretty darn swell. From having some fantastic art and animation to some powerful female characters, Princess Mononoke can be praised on several levels, but the one I'll be focusing on will be the themes brought out by the contrasts within the characters..
There are quite a bit of themes presented throughout the film, such as man vs. nature, mortal/man vs. spirits, and the change of the world with old vs. new technology. Throughout all of these themes, one of the ways these contrasts were shown were through characters having almost dual identities, or rather going through physical transformations in order to show the changes within them. This applies to most of the main characters, such Ashitaka, San, The Deer God, and in a way Lady Eboshi. Ashitaka's transformation is obvious in the manifestation of the wound on his arm; it shows the struggle between him as a mortal man and the powerful angry spirit revolting against him.




For San, she has her dual identity is as both human and spirit/animal. Being born of human, she has the weaknesses of a human such as her mortality, lack of physical power, and in ways, her human emotions, as well as being seen as unequal and even inadequate to other spirits, and being thought as sick or possessed by other humans. Despite this, San actively works against her human origins to prove not only to the other spirits that she is worthy to fight amongst them, but also to prove to her adopted mother, the God Moro, that she is useful. She additionally has grown up to see the atrocities performed by Lady Eboshi on the forest and thus honestly believes in her cause. Another character that has an obvious transformation, is the Deer God.


The Deer God has a literal transformation, making his contrast perhaps the most obvious. He represents one of the most powerful spirits in the movie, who is being by Lady Eboshi and the Emperor, the humans. Thus, his existence is the contrast to Lady Eboshi and the monk to show the theme of man vs. nature, and old vs. new. Additionally, his transformation from his physical form into his spiritual form is representative of mortal vs. spiritual, as well as his death, as Ashitaka points out at the end that although the body of the Deer God is dead, the spirit lives on through life and death. On another note about the Deer God himself, many comment on the creepyness of the Deer God's face –-



Many are off-put by the eery, human-like eyes, and suspicious half smile, and in some instance some have wished it were different. But something we've talked about, and I will repeat, is how the design of the face is really important. In looking back at how many viewed gods, they were seen as powerful and sometimes scary, because humans are supposed to honor and respect gods, and sometimes that requires a little fear. And in that sense, the face creates a shock factor for the audience, which may have been intended.


And now, we look at Lady Eboshi; although for the most part, she stands in contrast to the Deer Spirit/ San as the humans with the weapons, she later herself goes through her own change, as at the end of the movie, she decides to turn over a new leaf.


After Moro bites off her arm, she essentially decides it's time to quit. Perhaps this shows that we should never underestimate the power of the spirits.


There are still other transformations, such as those of the boars filled with rage. But this will be where I end it. Besides the basic contrast of the characters and themes, there are other things that contrast about this movie as well. In the first place, many will agree out of Hayao Miyazaki's films, this is quite the graphic piece. Also, as Susan Napier points out in Anime from Akira to Howl's Moving Castle, “The film defamiliarizes two important icons in Japanese culture, the myth of th feminine as long-suffering and supportive and the myth of the Japanese as living in harmony with nature...” (p. 233, Napier) This shows that Princess Mononoke contrasted other Japanese films at the time, bringing forth characters that broke traditional story archetypes when it was first screened in Japan.


Grave of the Fire *cries*



Oh look at that another pun –- incredible! Anyway, if my puns don't make you cry from how terrible they are, than this movie will at LEAST make you consider it. (Unless you're maybe Chloe cause I don't think Chloe can physically cry at movies) With the double-hit combo of watching small children slowly die and watching their still-young older sibling fall into a world of pain, many leave sad, and wondering about their siblings. But what makes this movie sad, for both Japanese and other audiences alike? A lot of reasons and we all know it.
To begin with my own experience, one of the things that I feel really impacted my first viewing of Grave of the Fireflies (though this was my second time watching it), was the shock factor. I had heard previously from a few friends that it was a surprisingly sad movie, and so when I heard from my parents that they had found it on DVD I thought “Why not, it's Ghibli it really couldn't possibly be that sad.”

Well, I was obviously wrong. I'll admit, I didn't physically cry as I very rarely ever actually cry at any movies or TV shows, but I was on the inside. I finished that movie feeling like my heart had been slapped by Totoro and my brain was trying to figure out how to feel about that. The fact that GOTF was unlike other Ghibli movies really caught me off. Expecting perhaps a mildly sad but touching movie, my expectations left me like had been run over by the harsh paws of the catbus. And in this sense I do regret telling many of you beforehand how sad this was, because maybe than you would have felt this pain.

Another reason for Grave of the Fireflies to release the tears is probably the reality in it. Unlike many Ghibli films released in America, GOTF took place during a time that actually occurred in history and had no real fantasy or magic to it. Without those two things, it gets harder for us to separate from this movie as well as knowing that this could have really happened. And for the Japanese audience, this film may have brought back memories of the war, and personal family stories. Also, the common of experience of being a sibling, and imagining if one had to do what Seita had to do. All these were very real situations, which means there was very little room for viewers to escape and not feel the disappearance of hope for Seita and Setsuko.
My final and very important element, is the fact that this film was animated AND, as Susan Napier said, “...nostalgia for a disappearing past.” (p. 32, Anime from Akira to Howl's Moving Castle, Napier) Often, when people in the West see cartoons they think of kids shows; and back in the day, Japanese audiences thought similarly. Thus, it adds to the shock when something like GOTF comes around, taking something that is in ways associated with children and breaking that line. And it reminds us of our past, and how responsibilities, like caring for your dieing loved one, breaks that peaceful past.
In the end whether you did or did not cry at Grave of the Fireflies, this film will always be credited as one of the ones along with Akira that helped set the tone in Japan for adult animation. It will always be considered an interesting look at the interpretation of a time in history, as well as something you wonder how a 5-year-old would consider their favorite movie.




IKEA (Akira)
Alternative Title: Akir-ious Movie

Did you get that title? Me neither. Did you get the entirety of Akira? Probably not. Out of these three features, Akira was the only one I had never seen before, and from experiencing it for the first time let me tell you what consistently captivated me a whole chunk of the time –-

THE ANIMATION.

I know not everyone liked it, or were really peeved by the style, but I just remember when I first watched the first scene of when the gang members enter the bar I was just thinking –-


Like yo, that lip sync though. I know for several reasons why I was so impressed. For one, I was just watching the fluidity and thought about how many frames that must have taken. No wonder this movie's framous! Not to mention when this was made, which earns itself some mad cred. Nothing digital, and for anime, pretty early.
Other than the animation, I still thought it was interesting at points. It definitely had its weak spots, like character backstory,some explanations (like the pills) and why Tetsuo's forehead is like its own continent –- but overall, it was interesting and definitely a cult film. I did really love the shots, and animation of the buildings. My final word would probably be, that it feels incomplete, at least story wise for what they give in the movie. I could see some people liking the mystery left by the gaps in characters in a weird sense but after hearing about Sydney speak about the manga, (which I now intend to read whenever I can collect me some time) I know there's a lot more in-depth story buried under all that Tetsuo. But until then, the movie. Despite its fallbacks, I also can still see how this film really impacted so many anime and western film today (not Kanye though) and give it mad respect for that. It jumpstarted a generation and paired with Grave of the Fireflies really set the possibilities for mature and interesting animation. Overall I say I enjoyed it, though I really look forward to the manga for filling in gaps.

Let's just hope that there really isn't anything under that stadium though.



Did I do ok? I hope so. I also wish we had some more time for this section, but I guess time just kinda doesn't let things happen. Well it was fun having this venture, looking through movies I've already seen and also watching what looked like a bunch of psychic green benjamin buttons and motorcycles. Till next time friends~



No comments:

Post a Comment