Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Grave of the Fireflies


Grave of the Fireflies

I'm sorry I took so long to write this one but I had a really hard time thinking about what to say.

What can I say about this film? I feel like I couldn't come up with anything bad to say about it even if I tried. This film is on a whole different level, for animated films as a whole it is revolutionary and for Ghibli it is nothing like anything they have previously attempted. Animation wise it's phenomenal but that is to be expected with Ghibli films. (I feel like I'm using "animation" too much. Apologies to anyone reading this.) No but in all seriousness, this film perfectly captures the essence of war in a way that at no point feels cheesy or forced.

 I feel like it can be best explained and summarized through the feelings it expresses through its characters, and in turn evokes in its audience. If I were to pick out the most prominent three emotive themes of the film: hope, pride and loss.

Hope
Going into this film you know the children are doomed from the start and yet it still convinces you to hope they'll pull through. The fireflies also play a prominent role in the film, acting as a sort of leit motif. They symbolize life, the idea that it is fleeting, but also that it is constant; though they may die there will always be more to take their place. Another theory I've heard is that the fireflies represent the souls of fallen soldiers in battle so the final scene of them dancing amongst the fields of grass could be a glimmer of hope that they, as well as Setsuko who is seen playing with them, have found peace.

Pride
Seta throughout the film is Japan personified; He is prideful and hopeful at the films opening, though as Japans forces are vanquished, so to are his spirits. Seta's emotions and expectations are those instilled in him by his family and those around him. His pride stems from his father's position in the military, and his idea of responsibilities he must fulfill, such as taking care of his sister, are brought about by his aunt and his mother. Yet, despite the fact that he is barely old enough to be taking care of himself, let alone his sister, his pride wont allow him to submit and as for help.

Loss
I feel this one is evident. Aside from the obvious loss of their home, their mother, their wealth and happiness, loss is felt on a much greater scale. Continuing the metaphor for Japan, if Seta represents Japan on an emotive level, Setsuko is the country on a physical level. The weakness and sickness of her body is reflected in the lands and her malnutrition in the resources. 

Well that's all I've got to say, hopefully it wasn't completely false... Thanks for reading!
-Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment