Thursday, October 23, 2014

Princess Mononoke

                                         
I really liked Princess Mononoke I thought it was great and not the story I was expecting. When it started and they had the demon pig that it turns out became like this because of human technology  I was like, oh its going to be one of those movies. You know the ones where the message is humans are bad and technology is evil whereas nature is good. But I was surprised by the duality of all of it's characters. No one was purely bad or purely evil. The characters were actually multifaceted people and the message of the movie wasn't that nature is this perfect idealized state and humans destroyed that but it was more like through proper understanding of one another we can live together.
                                                
The Deer God for example is an example of this duality because he can bring both life and death. Lady Eboshi was someone I had initially pegged to be a "bad guy" so i was confused when I liked some of the things she did. She took in lepers and prostitutes when no one else would. She gave those normally rejected by society a place in life where they could feel safe.
                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment