Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Man Who Planted Trees

Okay so here we go:
The Man Who Planted Trees, was both appealing to the mind and to the senses, its visuals were soft and yet expressive. (they were especially enjoyable after the abrasive films that came before it (those ones hurt my eyes)) I'm still incredibly impressed at the idea of using pencil crayons for the cells (though I'm not quite sure it was worth an eye...)

Eye for animated film =/= equivalent exchange
The film's animation style seems rather french which is interesting considering its a Canadian film, I guess its just the artists style... maybe he was influenced by french style?

He's so pensive about his trees...
I donno the film in general is just incredibly visually appealing. Its not too harsh to the eyes and something about the visuals paired with the narration made the whole experience therapeutic. I particularly loved the flow of the animation, the way it was able to convey a story and contain such emotion while solely relying on subtle camera angles and transitions over harsher ones which would pull you out of the story.

Do they even have free roaming horses in France?

I've got to also say that I loved the message of the story; it was pretty inspirational to think that one man could singlehandedly change the landscape by creating rather than destroying, though I think it was a little pompous of the narrator to continually compare him to a god. Again, I donno, just a personal opinion. 

Well that's about all I've got to say; very pretty film Jose, thank you for showing it to us.



No comments:

Post a Comment