Thursday, October 23, 2014

Princess Mononoke



Hello everybody! I hope you're all having an amazing week!

  

First of all, let me start out by commenting on how beautiful the movie score is. I'm personally a huge sucker for good music in movies, and this one is definitely one of my favorite scores. It sends chills down my spine! Joe Hisaishi, well done.
 

And now, I want to discuss the theme of Princess Mononoke. On the surface, this story looks like your typical industrialism vs. nature story. Humans settle in a nice looking spot, destroy all wildlife, and build their factories. I've never been a particular fan of these kinds of movies because they make humans look like savage monsters who don't give a flying fish about other life. But Princess Mononoke is different. In this movie, the humans do not. While Lady Eboshi was killing wildlife, she was also caring about others. She gave safety and protection to people, and she took care of lepers. She also gave jobs to women. Jiko-bo was also a very nice person even though he wanted to kill the deer god. All of the characters were overall likeable, and I thought it was a nice break from the typical good-guy bad-guy story.
dat face doe











No comments:

Post a Comment