Sunday, October 19, 2014

Grave of The Fireflies and the Pain of Loss

This is how I thought it was going to go down with watching Grave of the Fireflies, but alas, it did not. Cameron and Jose have both already posted on perception and why some of us didn't cry, so I will gloss over my perception of the movie and why I didn't cry. For starters, I had already been alerted to the ultimate demise of the characters and was prepared for the death of the two kids. Another factor was my perception of the kids was one that didn't give me a lot of room the sympathize with the characters. I found that while they were both compelling and enjoyable, I didn't really sympathize with Seita's actions of not working and moving out of his aunt's house. I understood why he did it to take care of his sister and look out for her, but I can't sympathize with it. Now, since I've never been in that situation, my opinion is probably out of place, but I think it shows one of the weaknesses of the film. Anyway, onto the analysis of the film.
Its very interesting that they chose such a dramatic story for an animation film. Usually there is an element of the supernatural or the imaginable that makes a story a better fit for an animation feature over a live action. However, Grave of the Fireflies, could have easily been done as a live action film. So, why did they decide to do an animation film? In Napier's book, she states that Grave of the Fireflies is and elegiac style of film which is, "a mood of mournfulness and melancholy, perhaps mixed with nostalgia." (Napier, pg 31). This style of animated feature in Japanese culture is important, but not common. Elegiac style is helpful in breaking up the fast paced action plot and adding depth and emotion to the plot. Action adventures are great and all, but they are better when there are moments of tension, sadness, and loss that gives the audience something to hold onto and connect with. Tragedy is a great way to get an audience emotionally invested in a story and characters. 
Grave of the Fireflies definitely uses that to its advantage by using the relationship between Seita and his sister to make the story even sadder. It wasn't just two kids dying, it was a brother willing to do anything for his sister, fighting for her and trying to keep her alive, and yet in the end, it was his own pride and naivety that killed her. Watching that unfold, and not being able to do anything about it, is hard to watch. The audience is even told right away the siblings are going to die, within the first five minutes, Seita dies and it shows the two ghosts reflecting back on their story,
 yet the audience still finds sadness in the events, from the moment of dread when Setsuko's lightly rashy skin is shown on the beach,
to the absolute disparity as Seita races to give Setsuko food as she lays dying.
These images stay with the audience forever, forever there to remind them of the sadness and empty feeling of loss. So, while I didn't cry during this movie, I do believe that this film was well done in the ways of storytelling and getting their emotions across. It just goes to show that animated movies can be more than cartoony stories for children and can successfully handle mature themes, much like live action films can. While I haven't been in the same situation as Seita and Setsuko, I have lost family members, and I can definitely relate to that pain. 
 ( I felt it was appropriate to end with a Batman gif since I began with one.)


1 comment: