Thursday, October 23, 2014

Grave of the Fireflies

 

So I hear you guys all saying how much you DIDN'T cry in the movie, and I think that's kind of crazy. 'Cause I cried. A lot. Dying children are very sad.

However! I know that the theme of the movie is how Japan should have swallowed their pride and surrendered instead of being stubborn in WWII, and that is why Seita was so stubborn, but I felt like it kind of took away from the emotion of the film. The children were supposed to feel helpless, but they had a lot of money to spend on food and supplies that they never used until the very end when it was too late! I know that's the point, but it felt very unrealistic since they were so desperate. I feel that anyone in their right mind would withdraw the money they have before they stooped to stealing.


The fruit drops! They seem to be a leit motif. The box appears throughout the movie, and it looks to me like it symbolizes their hope. While there was still candy, it meant that they still had a fighting spirit. When the candy was gone, that's when things started to fall apart on them and Setsuko got sick. When Seita discovers the trash and dirt in the box at the very end when Setsuko is on her death bed, it tells us that we've finally lost all hope in saving them. I believe the fruit drops really helped with the emotion of the story.

Overall, I believe this movie was one of the saddest movies I've ever seen and was very well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment