Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Akira

 I had never seen Akira before in my life, and to be honest there are still many elements and themes in the film that I do not understand. Also it surprised me as to how graphic and almost disturbing images. Especially when Tetsuo started to transform. I did not know what I was expecting when it came to the film, but I definitely was not expecting anything like that. Even though I found it to be more graphic than what I was expecting, I still found the film to be interesting. The character designs were unique and the backgrounds were very interesting to look at.


AKIRA (1988 poster).jpg

Something that really interested me in the film was the relationships. Why they chose to develop some relationships more than others and why they put in other relationships. For example I personally did not understand fully the relationship between Kaneda and Tetsou at first. It was not until the film went into detail about their past that I understood their relationship. I figured that they had a close relationship, but not until almost over halfway through the film. Maybe it was obvious and I did not figure it out, but I did not fully understand the relationship they had. I was interesting that they chose to develop their relationship in the way they did. The very first time we see Kaneda and Tetsou interacting with each other, Kaneda tells Tetsou to get off his bike. There was no real communication there an no real emotion. It was not until Tetsou crashed that they whole gang showed more emotion toward Tetsou. After that event, it was clearer that Kaneda had a close realtionship with Tetsou, but not before that. Also The film did not reveal the conflict between Kaneda and Tetsou until Tetsou took Kaneda's the bike. At that point, the audience understands that Tetsou feels as though Kaneda saves him too much and that Tetsou is too dependable on Kaneda, "Tetsou's inability to control Kaneda's motorcycle underlines his weakness and dependence at the beginning of the film." (Napier 41) This factor is what really drives Tetsou later on in the film. Something that really struck me was Tetsou wanting the power to save himself and to be self sufficient. At the beginning of the film it is pretty clear that Tetsou is reliant of Kaneda for many things. however, it is also known that Tetsou wants to be self sufficient and care for himself. I think that that is why he accepted his power. I provided him with the ability to help himself, "...in other words, from impotence to total power. Tetsou's new powers may also symbolize his development from adolescent into adult..." (44) I think that it was because of Kaneda's and his relationship that contributed to Tetsou's downfall. I think the reason why they revealed their past so late into the film was to enhance the situation with these two characters. They understand that Tetsou has been in Kaneda's shadow for a long time and that all he wants to to break free from that shadow. His want to be independent from Kaneda is what partially drove him to defeat.

Another relationship that I was a little confused about was Kaneda and Kei's relationship. Other than the fact that she was supposed to be the love interest, what was the purpose for their relationship? I know that it was in the film for the story's sake, but I also feel as though there was another way to incorporate Kei into the story. I do realize that she was used to try and stop Tetsou when he was trying to destroy the city, but the relationship with Kaneda seems to be a little out of place.

No comments:

Post a Comment