Thursday, October 23, 2014

Akira

 

SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO^^^

Akira... Gosh I have a lot of mixed feelings about this movie.

For me, Akira seemed very confusing, and there were a lot of things that were going on that I felt were not properly explained. For example, after we watched it, I needed someone to explain to me why the three children were all old and wrinkly. I wish they could have made that a little more clear. Plus, the ended seemed to drag on and on. When I thought that the action was just about over, MORE stuff kept happening!

HOWEVER, I did appreciate the animation. The movements seemed very fluid and believable, and the characters' lips closely matched their words for the most part. Technically Akira is very good, especially for 1988.


What I admire a lot about Akira is how it is so shamelessly disgusting and uncensored. They throw so many revolting images at the audience, making it stand out from most other movies which are afraid to be realistic. The grossness feels more real to audiences and gives them the reaction that the characters themselves are having.


According to Napier, Akira shows the adolescent's transformation from childhood to adulthood through Tetsuo. Tetsuo "sometimes resists the transformation but also at times nihilistically glories in it, and ultimately asserts his monstrous new identity unflinchingly at the film's end" (Napier, 40). This idea of metamorphosis from childhood to adulthood seems to be a big theme of this movie.







No comments:

Post a Comment