Tuesday, November 4, 2014

This is One Interesting Neighborhood Block Party: Street of Crocodiles


So lemme just make a disclaimer from the beginning: this will all be ramble. So sit tight, chew on your meat slab, and just kinda listen I guess.



On one hand, for some abstract intangible reason, I can't exactly say I dislike this film. Mostly cause I kinda enjoy the weird, grungy stop-motion. It's more that I left confused, not knowing what I just watched. I'm usually not bad at interpreting some sort of message that I can pull from a kind of abstract-ish piece and sew together, but this short just left me with ideas like poofs of gross meat smoke that I could barely grasp.

sew like this???

nah.


For the whole film, I pretty much only got rough ideas that the film gave me that I couldn't really put together and just kinda interpreted. First of all, the strongest theme or I guess impression that I at all got was the grime of the ghettos. The dust, rust, and grime translated pretty clearly the real situation of the ghettos. Another thing that I could extract, would be a few things about the state of the people. At the end of the film, a man speaks and says "In that city of cheap human material, no instincts can flourish, no dark and unusual passions can be aroused."  The "cheap human material" refers to how in ghettos, the population who are discarded by society and are essentially expendable like cheap material and labor. This is shown by how the figures in this film are made of what look like old and discarded, mismatched pieces. In that same monologue, he also says "The misfortune of that area is that nothing ever succeeds there, nothing can ever reach a definite conclusion. " And this can be seen in the sad state of the city within this box. Like, the childlike character and the light bulb man toward the beginning. I'm not sure what they're trying to accomplish, but it appears as if they're trying to do something. But at the end of the film, you see (I'll just refer to him as the young boy) the young boy weeping at the sight of the changing man, then going back to him holding what appears to be the carcass of the lightbulb man, like their plans did not succeed. Although I know the lightbulb- idea symbolism may not have been used yet, knowing this symbol makes me think as if the "idea" has died in this place, creation snuffed. And that's it, all I was able to conjure. Well, beside the kinda sexual tones with phallic objects and meat and boob-grabbing mannequins. 


There were some things I read though, like how the music was very important to the film, and I agree. The film being so kind of random, made it difficult to really get some of the emotional tone changes throughout the short. But the music helped bring a pace, and certain emotions to some parts. Another thing to note, was the goal to explore the story through the potential feelings from the experience. And from reading this, I've thought that just as the impressionists wanted, it was like a dream. Dreams are confusing, raw, and by the time you wake up, you may often find yourself with only pieces of the dream, kinds of undertones, and feelings of the emotions you may have felt like loneliness, happiness, or fear. That things don't make sense, I this is what I feel was what they were using to explore the original story.

And that's it. That's all I got. yeah.



. . . 





Btw

IT WAS ALL A D R E AM







2 comments:

  1. I agree, I loved the style. It was different, but not so much bad different as refreshingly original. I've never seen that style elsewhere, and I've always liked grungy things myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The style in this film actually reminds me of a version of Alice in Wonderland before, where pretty much everything was re-enacted by a little girl, and a bunch of taxidermy animals with the creepiest eyes I've ever seen. If you want something art-style-wise similar to this but with a more obvious story/story you already know, I would suggest looking around for it.

    ReplyDelete