Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Art of European Animation: A study of Streets of Crocodiles, Dimensions of Dialogue, and Seasons


Okay I get it, not everyone enjoys European animation. Sure some of it is just strange, weird deep cultural symbolism that we here in America don't really get, but I really enjoyed every film that was shown about European animation that we have seen.

(Disclaimer: To warn you, my study of these films are not going to be about story or just messages behind the films because no matter what I say to defend or offend the films, you have already made up your opinion. But I can say how I liked the film visually and you won't be able to go against my word. So HA! Anyway... back to the post...)

Even though I liked all of them, I really just want to highlight three of the films that we have watched: Streets of Crocodiles, Dimensions of Dialogue, and Seasons.

Yes, everyone has something to complain about Streets of Crocodiles, my honest complaint about the movie was that there was no fugging streets with crocs... I mean that was the one thing I expected out of that movie. I WANTED SOME DAMN CROCS! ...*Sighs*...

Anyway, I found this film visually appealing. For me stop motion and claymation always has a great creepiness to it's animation. Even fugging Gumby is creepy to me, but I love it so much. It is this continued creepiness that always makes me want to watch more stop-motion/claymation. Yes there is probably some deeper meaning within this about isolation of Jewish ghettos in Poland or the machine-likeness of Nazis using eugenics to purify the world, but visually it was great. The genre of animation is an art form. It does not always need a story that makes sense for it's audience. Or maybe we weren't it's intended audience. Quit ya whining and just enjoy this wonderful visual experience (Not trying to copy Cam and his Akira thing at all...)

Now to my favorite film I have seen in this class... Dimensions of Dialogue...

I mean come on, oh course you would feel this way after sharing a bunch of stuff with your friends

Okay, I laughed my fugging butt off in this film. Every part of it was wonderful. Of course my favorite part is the last one. I honestly wished I thought of butter on butter... the idea is too silky smooth, that it would just slip from my hands... (Pepe pls don't kill me for making this horrible pun)

But seriously, I really enjoyed this animation. Like holy of all things, the animation was fugging 
fantastic. Usually there isn't a lot of animation that really impresses me. This is because most animations now a days are simply done on a computer or drawings and that is what I am most 
accustomed to. And also stop-motion and claymation are not too hard to understand as well. But this type of claymation is super interesting to me. For one, I have no idea how Jan Švankmajer did this at all. It is hard in such a society accustomed to viewing animation that is not 2D or 3D. At first, I didn't believe myself when I told myself it was claymation. I just couldn't believe it. This animation stunned me and also made me laugh and that is why I believe this is the best.


I'm just going to say this flat out, I enjoy what Yuri Norstein does. I think his animation is interesting and I like his flow with his story, but it wasn't awe-inspiring as the previous films. The most visually interesting film of his that we were shown was Seasons. The horse animation for me was really really lovely to look at, however... I've seen better animated horses...



No comments:

Post a Comment