Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Triplets of Belleville ------ Oh, and La Planete Sauvage

Hello friends, Pepe, and Connor. Today we speak of the films "Triplets of Belleville" and "La Planete Sauvage." Both were interesting films, in their own way. On one hand, I am familiar with Triplets, as the first time I watched it I recall being in late elementary school, where as La Planete is completely new to me. So without further ado, I guess I'll go over both and see where this goes.


La Planete Sauvage (Fantastic Planet)

Well, like quite a few of the other films we've watched, I neither liked nor disliked Fantastic Planet. The idea for the movie was interesting for the time, although the style of the art was very.....trippy. In a way, it helped with the oddness of the planet, but it also was kind of appalling to the eye which may have been on purpose. Something I did have a problem with was the lack of emotion in the faces of the human characters, as one would expect from a race being oppressed and basically experiencing genocide and slavery. I feel the only reason I didn't mind the rest of the style, and invasive colors, was because I feel it added to the obscureness of the planet, and if that was what was intended, then it worked. But something I did have a problem with story wise, was the ending; it seemed very sped up in comparison to the rest of the film, as the rest of the film had been fairly slow paced.



Les Triplettes de Belleville (The Triplets of Belleville)

I remember the first time I watched this film, I was I think around maybe 2nd-or-3rd grade, on a dingy chunky television in the beaten metal board games cabinet of my after school. One of my friends, a girl about 4 years older than me who loved more obscure or at least non mainstream media, brought in a VHS copy of Triplets rented from Blockbuster (dang look at all these memories). Since I was really young, I watched with confusing and fascination, Triplettes being my first silent animated movie to date. I remember being feeling a fondue of mixed and melted fear, curiosity, confusion, and intrigue, mostly because of this strange and cool art style. The thing that left the biggest impression on me, that made me remember this film, were the characters; the clunky funky grandma, the scary story of the boy and his bicycle (mind you I was around age 7 so "scary" for then), and the two suited men the most, because I remember feeling a sensation of doom from the looming rectangular shape. For the longest time after, I remembered that film somehow, though I didn't remember the story that well, just that it sounded like a jumble of noises when they did speak in this mostly silent film, and the strange characters, though I misremembered it as "The Triplets of Bahle" or something.

Then, about a year-and-a-half ago, when I began to really feel comfortable with the thought of chasing animation as a major, I had the urge to chase many of the films I remembered watching as a child that I didn't watch much as kid but left an impression on me, mostly Triplets and the other being Cats Don't Dance (idk I was kid and greatly saddened by this one). So, I did some digging, found it, and rewatched it. I finally was able to grasp what happened, and told my dad who later went and bought it. So in other words, I have slight weird history with this movie, first mysterious than fond. 

Now, in analyzing this movie, I'll always say my favorite part is the character design. The quirky characters always stick out, and with time, have gotten funnier (predominately the grandma and her little quirks). The story itself is not complex but in thought is as quirky as the characters: a story of a grandmother who chases her grandson who was kidnapped from a bike race in order to be used as entertainment from the mafia befriends a trio of old singers who help her in her quest. I will admit, there were points in the story that may have almost been misleading, but more seemed like plot twists. Although it is not a dark film, I always remember it as one I think because of my very first impressions of this films as at the time I was used to the brightly colored silly cartoons from the US. But no matter what I remember this film fondly.

Anyway, I think that's all I got. So mostly rambles about my history with Triplets and, well yeah. 

Till next time~~~~

Can't hold all these feels
Also Congrats to the Bees and the Pupps! HINT HINT - we should watch, it's also animated







No comments:

Post a Comment