Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Fantastic Planet of the Triplets of Belleville

It is honestly great to see animation of a different country. For me it is amazing to see how different cultures take this medium that we are all familiar with and see what they do with it. However since we will see this from a bias of seeing a ton of American animation, we sometimes can't appreciate the films as much. I think this applies mostly with the film : The Fantastic Planet

 Please get this chain of bias off of me!

I love world building, science fiction, future stories, aliens, basically all the ideas that was presented in The Fantastic Planet. However the visuals really threw me off the story of this film. When I first saw the Draags, I actually covered my eyes. The emotional less blue faces with the intense red eyes really freaked me out. The animation and designs of the humans or Oms didn't bother me visually as much because I feel like I have seen this type of animation before (Tales of Prince AchmedSouth Park, Blue's Clue, Little Bill, Paper Mario series). The world building for me was quite impressive, I liked the complex environments and the surrealist plants. The story was predictable for me, but I think it was suppose to be for me, especially for the 21st Century eyes of mine. I feel like I have seen stories that are inspired from this and just changed because it is influenced from this film. Even though I have seen this type of animation before and yet I still don't like it is that because I don't think this idea was good for this type of animation. Even Prince Achmed was great for it's type of animation, but this film just didn't have the same power. A 2D animated or even claymation would have been great for this film, the extreme content of world building is too complex for such simple animation as this.

Now to the much more visually interesting film... Triplets of Belleville

Oh Belleville... Such a wonderful paradise... Right?

This was my first time seeing this film and oh my gosh I love the character design. I don't care that it was not anatomically correct, the character designs were great. The long noses of the characters, especially Champion, the great body types of the French Mafiamen, the little mechanic, and all of the character was great. Extreme character designs always amuses me and makes it more enjoyable. My favorite scene of this entire film has to be the great "death" scenes closer to the end of the film. The cartoony feel of this film just made it flat out hilarious and entertaining and made me stay into the story. The catchy music, fun story, great character and designs made me love Triplets of Belleville.

What did you guys think? Lemme know in the comments below!

See You Space Cowboy


No comments:

Post a Comment