Thursday, November 6, 2014

I Went On A Walk Down The Street Of Crocodiles... And Got Hopelessly, Unbearably, Irreparably Lost


Sitting in the theatre like...
Not gonna lie, I was hugely tempted to post that gif and then be done with it.

But in all seriousness, that film was literally incomprehensible. Like, compared to it, Akira was a cakewalk... And y'all know how I felt about Akira.

Again, I understand that in some contexts there is a point in being confusing. I'm not trying to say a story can't do that. I just read a novel called The Descent Into Hell that was EXTREMELY confusing,  to the point that I could barely discern its point for the first half, but I still ended up enjoying it thoroughly. The thing that made me like The Descent Into Hell, however, was that it had that quintessential "AHA" moment where everything finally came together and made sense. I previously complained about a lack of such a moment in Akira, but The Street of Crocodiles took this incomprehensibility a step even further. At least in Akira, you could tell there was SUPPOSED to be a plot. Here, there were just a bunch of randomly strung together scenes, jumbled and incoherent with no real buildup nor payoff.

-"Meat Watches!"
-"Yeah, great, there are meat watches. Why does that matter?"
-".............MEAAAAAT WAAAAATCHEZZZZZZ!!!!"

I can't even say much for its style. I guess I could say I acknowledge it, but that's about as much as I can give it. I'm not a fan of the gritty-everything-is-hopeless-style, but I do realize it's here to make a point (whatever that is). Personally, however, that style is something of a red-flag to me. I generally don't like movies of its area, and this was no exception. I also don't feel it was particularly well animated. It seemed fairly jerky to me.

All in all, not my kinda film.

Yes Sokka is my reaction for everything today;
You got a problem with that?
UP NEXT
THOSE RUSSIAN FILMS YO
YUP

No comments:

Post a Comment