Monday, November 3, 2014

Screw Surrealism: I cant decide if I love it or hate it

Street of the crocodiles
I have a weird love hate relationship with surrealism. On one hand I love to creepy and strange things that come out of it, but on the other hand I cant stand the fact that it never makes any sense unless you either watch it a million times or someone explains it to you. Street of the Crocodiles is alot like this for me. The visuals used in the movie were really cool and looked both disturbing and integrating. It made you want to look closer to try and figure out what you were looking st, but s little voice in your head was like "noooooo don't look its creepy". My favorite visual in the movie was when they put muscle and organs in objects and had the dolls interact with them.


These images left me like
But the imagery was too few and far between, for my taste and the movie was instead saturated annoying imagery that was both to obvious and too cryptic. As a fan of the dark and creepy I love surreal things like this because they are usually the only medium that is willing to go this dark, but I cant deal with the imagery. I hate leaving a movie and turning back and saying "What the fuck did I just watch"?". I get that they want you to think about the film and dive deeper into what they are trying to say, but seriously I should be able to at least have some idea of what happened, and the movie needs to eave enough of an impact on me so that I want to come back and watch the video again. As it stands Street of the Crocodiles is a movie that has a few interesting visuals and cool character designed but an overly complicated and cryptic story.

No comments:

Post a Comment