Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Street of Crocodiles, AKA a 21min Visual Experience of Pure Confusion

I'm kind of at a loss for what to say about this film, it was visually interesting, but the story and overall plot (if this film even had one?) were a little lacking. For the majority of the film I had next to no idea what was going on and so I quickly resigned understanding and just decided to go along for the ride. The entire experience felt like the exploration of a world, showing us the ins and outs of this strange little neighbourhood from the perspective of an outsider, in this case the protagonist.


As he wandered the streets he offered up a glimpse into the workings of the place and its people, and while I cannot deny the overall experience was incredibly confusing, it was also quite interesting and left me wanting to see more. In fact, if there's one thing "Street of Crocodiles" did well was evoke emotion. Even if I was confused, I was still involved in the film and I was left searching throughout its entirety for an explanation (there never was one); when they used real flesh I was mildly disgusted,

the continuous shots of the child playing with the screws left me intrigued and the overall darkness of the film left me a bit on edge. 


Actually that is another thing I wanted to mention (sorry the mentioning of screws just reminded me): the stop motion in this was incredibly well done. It flowed so smoothly that I constantly forgetting that it was all stop motion. I've got to say that I particularly loved to movement of the screws, watching them rise out of their holes of their own accord. 
And with that I am just about out of things to talk about for this movie, so to sum it up: Plot was non existant, film was emotive and animation was well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment